What is his rights regarding the power of attorney that he has given his sister? 2 Answers as of July 03, 2015

My best friend had a stroke 2 years ago. At the time he was in bad shape and we all thought he would not make it. During that period, his sister (only relative) received his power of attorney. Since then, he has made a very swift recovery. He only has speak impairment (somewhat) but can still vocalize and talk, just takes a little while to get it out. He has no physical impairment or mental impairment. He wants to move from his sister’s house because she makes his life a nightmare. She has power of attorney and tells him that he can't move or she will put him in a home. Can he move (keep in mind she also has control of his money). What can he do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Terrell Law Office L.L.C
Terrell Law Office L.L.C | Joshua T. Terrell
There are several different types of DPOA (durable power of Attorney) and depending on the type he has will depend on what actions will be needed to revoke it. Generally speaking a person of sound mind can ALWAYS revoke a power of attorney. To determine what he will need to do to revoke it he needs to see a lawyer. DPOAs are cheap and most lawyers will work on payment arrangements if needed.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 7/3/2015
Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
Have him revoke the power of attorney. Once he revokes it, she cannot use it to control his assets. If your best friend trusts you, then have him appoint you to act on his behalf.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 7/3/2015
Click to View More Answers: