What happens you enter default in a divorce case and file for judgement? 5 Answers as of May 14, 2012

Filled for divorce in Nov 2011. The attorney appeared to be a scam and didn't do her job. I had to proceed with everything myself. Entered Default on 4/30/2012 and filled for Judgment. What are the next steps and how long before I get official divorce?

Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
Once the divorce is processed, you will receive the default judgment back in the mail, assuming you did everything correct and it isn't rejected. If it is rejected, then you will have to correct whatever was wrong and resubmit everything. Once you have a Judgment, you will be done unless you have support or property orders that need to be enforced, which is a whole other issue. The time it takes depend on your local courthouse. In Los Angeles County, the time is usually between 3 to 6 months to process once submitted, depending on which courthouse it was filed in. Other counties may be faster, some may be slower. The state budget cuts to the judicial courts have affected processing times for judgments.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
You have to submit a judgment and a declaration for judgment showing the court how property is to be divided, children shared, etc. If you submitted all the required documents you should be getting your paperwork back shortly depending on what county you are in. In Sacramento County it takes about six weeks to get the papers back from the court. Then if anything is wrong, additional papers need to re-submitted to the court and you are then looking at an additional few weeks. I suggest you check with your county's court clerk to see if you can find out the status of the papers you submitted.
If you filed the judgment, it can be about a month before the court reviews it. If it is all correct, it will be signed. If not, it will be returned to you to make corrections.
Rebecca Rainwater
Rebecca Rainwater | Rebecca Rainwater
If you appeared at the Default Hearing the court enters the order and you are given a copy after the hearing. On the Judgment if they used a California Judicial Counsel form you can look at number 4.a.(1) and there will be a specific date identified. This is the date the marital status is terminated and the parties are restored to the status of single persons. If for some reason you did not receive a copy of your judgment at the hearing, you should go the the court clerk's office a ask for a copy. They may charge you a per page copy fee.
The answer depends on what issues are involved in your case? (e.g., custody, child/spousal support, asset/debt division, etc.?) Best to call a local family law lawyer to discuss all the facts. Or, seek the free assistance of the family law "Facilitator's Office" at your local family courthouse.