What happens when your passport expires before you leave United States? 3 Answers as of November 10, 2010

I came to United States and stayed longer than planned. My passport expired while here but my visa is still good. Now I want to go home. How do I get a new passport?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You need to contact your countrys Embassy/Consulate in the US regarding this. Please also note that the validity of the visa does not control your authorized period of stay in the US; the white I-94 card (entry/departure) is what controls and you need to make sure that that is not expired.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or if I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I am not acquainted with the passport renewal laws of your country, but in the U.S. an expired passport can always be renewed or replaced by reporting to the embassy or consulate closest to you. The U.S. official will not be nearly so concerned about your expired passport as whether you overstay your visa. Make your exit in compliance with the I-94 form on your passport, and you should be okay. If you have other questions, e-mail or call to make an appointment for an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Click to View More Answers: