What happens when you report child abuse? 2 Answers as of November 11, 2010

My husband has a temper. He punches in doors, and though he has never actually hurt the kids, he has come close a few times. I worry that one day he will go too far and actually hurt one of them, but I am afraid to report my fears to any authority because its really not so bad, and I do not feel like he is a bad father, and I do not want him to not be able to see his kids. Still, I worry. What should I do? What will happen if I report him?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You should never tell the police anything, get him professional help.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/11/2010
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
Do not close the barns doors after the cows have run away. Your husband has serious anger control issues that are not likely to dissipate on its own. You have a moral, parental, and legal obligation to take action. My recommendation would be to arrange a consultation with a social worker-not a psychiatrist (who is trained in issuing medications), to discuss the anger control issue, and what action if any can be done to get this issue under control. If he refuses to attend, or participate, then tell him you must report this to authorities, otherwise you may be arrested at some point for failing to protect your kids, let alone the damage to your kids physically, and emotionally. If this plan of action does not work, call the police. He may be arrested for harassment, and forced to take a court ordered anger control program.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/11/2010
Click to View More Answers: