What happens when a juvenile is charged with a DUI? 8 Answers as of February 24, 2012

I'm 16 and have recently received a DUI. My court date is still pending, but I am curious as to what form of probation (informal or formal) and any other punishments I will receive. There were no injuries with my DUI, and I understand that committing a DUI is a terrible thing.

Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
You need an attorney. Depending on the court it is possible that a deal can be worked out. Your driving privileges will be suspended. This can be dealt with too. Call if you have any questions.
Each juvenile court is different. You should hire a lawyer to make sure you don't do time in juvi hall. Feel free to call our office and tell us which court it is.
You will need an attorney and likely will be appointed one by the court if your family doesn't hire one. A juvenile DUI counts the same as an adult DUI on your driving record so that is the worst part. You are not likely to have to do time but every case is different and it may depend on the blood alcohol result and other facts of your case. You will definitely be put on probation and have to do an alcohol program. Plus your license will likely be suspended for a year.
You will lose your driving privilege until you turn 18. You will have to do classes and be on probation.
What happens ? The same as an adult, except with additional penalties of suspension of license required. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available. Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    It is normally informal probation but you can still lose your license for up to a year.
    Some of this will depend upon the blood alcohol concentration (BAC). You should not be looking at any jail time but will be looking at significant fees and fines, DUI classes, informal probation, and a license suspension. It would be best for you to hire an attorney to assist you.