What happens to your tax return after you file bankruptcy? 9 Answers as of February 21, 2011

I filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2010 and now I'm ready to do my taxes. I am wondering if they will they hold my tax return

If your exemptions allow in your state you can claim this money but if you have already used your total exemption then the trustee gets the money.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
If your case is closed and you have received your discharge, then any tax refund you may receive is yours.
Your tax return must still be filed regardless of whether you file bankruptcy or not. If you are asking what happens to any refunds, that depends on whether you listed and exempted the refund on your bankruptcy papers. You may be able to reopen your case (assuming it is closed) to add that asset and exempt it, depending of course on the amount of the refund, and which state's exemption laws apply in your case. You need to discuss this with your attorney.
The IRS will not hold it. If you exempted it, it is yours. Your trustee might inquire about. There is no reason to dely filing your return however.
Not unless you owe back taxes or back child support.
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi | Brian H. Nomi
    Best to exempt it if you file bankruptcy. Trustees are known to go after taking your tax returns away if they are not property exempted.
    No unless you owe money to the IRS or someone else, such as for child support or student loans, that can legally intercept your refund. Your bankruptcy is over if you got your discharge and the case was closed.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    If you exempted it properly,you will receive your tax return.