What happens to your student visa if you take time off? 3 Answers as of November 05, 2010

I have a student visa (from France) to go to college in the United States but I want to take a year off and go back to Europe. Will I have any trouble returning? I have talked to administrators and they are unsure.

Your F-1 visa allows you to make trips outside the U.S. for up to five months and be able to return without being required to reapply for a new F-1 visa. As long as you maintain that student visa, you can travel back home, or within the U.S. That is the case as long as you are within the date issued on your original F-1 visa, particularly your I-9 Form that is enclosed on your passport. If you have any other questions and need an immigration attorney, please feel free to call or e-mail me for a consultation, in person or by phone.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You can re-enter to resume your studies on the same visa if it is the same school and the same program under the same I-20.
If you are still in valid student status, you should not have any problems returning to the US in your visa student status.