What happens to my J-1 Visa if my sponsor company goes out of business? 3 Answers as of November 03, 2010

I am on a J-1 Visa but I'm afraid the company sponsoring my training is about to go out of business. Will I be deported by the INS?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is that you are out of status as soon as your sponsoring business is closed. However, if you have not run out of your 3-year term, you may be able to change status if you obtain a future sponsoring employer who qualifies for labor certification status (LCA), you are able to continue in the country, and would have no problem if you have overstayed for less than six months at the time you are granted change of status. If you have more questions, call or e-mail me at the phone or e-mail below, to set up an in-person or phone consultation. I hope to hear from you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/3/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
No, you will not be deported but you will need to either find a new sponsor for your J-1 or go back to your home country.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/21/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Your status will likely terminate when the company goes out of business, especially if you are working/training/interning for the company. If you wish to stay a bit longer, I would suggest that you apply for change of status to B-2 so that you can stay and wrap up your affairs.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/20/2010
Click to View More Answers: