What happens to my immigration status if we divorce? 2 Answers as of March 22, 2011

I’m married to a US citizen. We filed a petition for alien spouse, and we are waiting for the interview. Since we have been talking about divorce, what happens to me? Will I be able to get residency? There has been some domestic violence so I don’t want to keep trying to fix our marriage

If you have been a victim of domestic violence you may still be eligible to obtain a Green Card. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allow for the victims of domestic violence, who are married to U.S. Citizens or Green Card holders to file a petition on their own. The form is an I-360, and if approved, replaces the petition filed by the abuser.
I am sorry for what you are going through. It sounds like your spouse will not go to interview with you. If he or she does not, you won't get your green card. However, if you are battered spouse, you can petition for yourself. We would love to help you. You are welcome to contact us.