What happens to me when a judgement is filed against me? 8 Answers as of February 06, 2012

What happens if I don't pay,how long do I have to pay,who do I pay?

J.M. Cook, P.A. | J.M. Cook
A judgment is filed in the county register of deeds and it becomes a lien on any real property you own or acquire while it is enforceable. It remains enforceable for 10 years and is renewable for another 10. During that time, it accrues interest under the NC Statutes, (around 8% last time I checked).
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
There are many factors and variables involved with your question. In short the creditor will most likely continue its collections efforts but can now use remedies such as bank levy or wage garnishment to try to collect money. You should enter some type of payment arrangment or seek the advice of an attorney for more specifics on what to do.
The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
The creditor can attempt to garnish your wages or have money taken out of your bank account.
Once a creditor gets a judgment, they can freeze your bank accounts, garnish your salary and the judgment will become a lien on any real estate you may own. You could file bankruptcy to get rid of the judgment or call the attorney for the creditor and work out a settlement or repayment plan.
CS Hansley Law Firm | Chris Hansley
The person/company who was granted the judgement can go after your non exempt assets and attempt to garnish your paycheck if your wages are not exempted. if they have your bank account information they may also go after that money. they do not have to warn you before they garnish your bank account and wages. judgment can last up to 20 years in public records. Legally payment is due when judgment is entered. you can contact the creditor to attempt to make payment arrangements or negotiate a lower amount.
    Albert Law Group
    Albert Law Group | Alvin S. Albert
    The most common consequence is a wage or bank account garnishment. It can be filed fairly quickly so you want to contact the judgment holder and make payment arrangements if possible. If you don't have a job, bank account, or property (for liens), then you may be judgment proof.
    The Barrister Firm
    The Barrister Firm | Christopher Benjamin
    Typically the judgment creditor will seek to discover your assets in an attempt to determine what can be used to satisfy the judgment. The most popular method of collection is wage garnishment because a judgment creditor can take up to 25% of your income per pay period until judgment is satisfied. There are a few exceptions to the garnishment in which you should go over with an attorney to determine which may be applicable to your circumstances.
    Park Law Offices LLC | Kevin Parks
    When you have a judgment filed against you, the plaintiffs will begin to collect. This can occur in any number of ways, including foreclosing security interests, garnishing wages or levying bank accounts, etc. In Oregon there is a 9% interest rate attached to judgments, as well, so the longer it takes to pay off, the higher the amount, in addition to the potential damage to your credit. Typically you pay the plaintiff's attorney, or sometimes the plaintiff directly. Other times, the plaintiff will retain a collection agency or a different attorney to collect the judgment.