What happens to me if my spouse married me for a green card? 3 Answers as of May 31, 2011

My husband married me for green card. I moved to USA as an immigrant. I still am an immigrant, that's why it took him 4 years to come here. I got married to him in 2008. Then I moved to USA. After working really hard to get him here, he finally got here in 2011. As soon as he got his green card, he started to change and now he is harassing me. I want to move on, but is his green card a permanent or temporary? Since I filed for him when I got married (which was back in 2008) will I be called for that interview that happens after 2 years of marriage? Does my situation apply? I was married in 2008 but he moved here this year and got his green card this year. What will happen if we get divorced? Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you get divorced or want to get divorced, then all you have to do is not sign the I-751 application to remove condition on LPR. You do not have to go to the interview and they will not call you to it. You could also withdraw your AOS in a letter to USCIS and let them know about the "harassment that has been going on. I certainly think that if there has been any kind of abuse directed towards you, then you should have that documented and attached to your letter of withdrawal of support to USCIS. Please do not be a victim, there are laws that protect you in this country. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/31/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
His green card is most likely temporary. After two years he will have to apply for a permanent card and have to prove that the marriage was entered into in good faith and that the marriage is still viable or that a divorced has been finalized. It is he who needs the lawyer. You may want to consider naturalizing to become a citizen if you have been here as a green card holder for five years or more. There are many benefits to becoming a citizen including the right to vote and knowing that you will never be deported, as well as the ability to bring certain relatives to the U.S.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 5/27/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
If you divorce him, he won't be able to get permanent green card. You can also call ICE for his green card to be revoked.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: