What happens to inheritance in bankruptcy? How? 6 Answers as of September 07, 2015

My mother died 2 and a half years after I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy. It isn't a large amount, maybe 16 thousand. Will I have to give it to my bankruptcy?

Yes, the inheritance goes to the trustee who will pay it to your creditors. Who thank you for not using an attorney so you could have kept the money.
Generally an inheritance is not exempt in Chapter 13.
Section 541of the bankruptcy code makes certain property part of the chapter 13 estate. Discuss with your lawyer what part of it you can exempt, and what part of it must be turned over to the trustee.
This is an issue of some debate between the various bankruptcy districts. I would argue that since your mother died more than 180 days after your bankruptcy was filed, and that when she died, your case was confirmed, that the money belongs entirely to you.
Funds received more than 180 days after the filing of the case do not become part of the BK estate.