What happens now after I got caught shoplifting? 5 Answers as of May 08, 2014

My friend and I both 15 were caught shoplifting in a local store. Security stopped us at the door and brought us back to the room and questioned us, they made our parents come in and pay a store fine of $425 and was about to let us go. But the police were involved because we stole about $400 worth of clothing. Once the cop came and finish finger printing and booking us we were released and were told that we'd have to appear in court for a hearing. Additionally we had a tool that opened the security tags but this is our first time shoplifting so does that affect our punishment in anyway? What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You should not steal any more. Not only is it wrong you are incompetent at it if you got caught. Also think about this. What employer wants to hire a thief?? Do you ever want to get a job?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/8/2014
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
A juvenile court matter comes to the court's attention when the police apprehend a minor for violating a statute or a school official, parent, or guardian refers a problem with a juvenile to the court. The court intake officer then evaluates the case to determine whether further action is necessary, whether the child should be referred to a social service agency, or whether the case should be formally heard in juvenile court. If the situation is serious enough, the juvenile may be detained in a juvenile correction facility pending resolution of the matter or he or she may be sent to an alternative placement facility such as a shelter, group home, or foster home. If the intake officer decides that a formal hearing in juvenile court is not necessary, arrangements may be made for assistance for the child from school counselors, mental health services, or other youth service agencies. If the intake officer decides that the case should be heard in juvenile court, a petition is filed with the court setting forth the statutes that the child is alleged to have violated. In cases of serious offenses such as rape and murder, the matter may be referred to the district or county attorney's office, after which the juvenile may be charged as an adult, tried in the criminal courts, and even sentenced to an adult correctional facility. If the matter proceeds to juvenile court and the child admits to the allegations in the petition, a treatment program is ordered. If the child denies the allegations in the petition, a hearing like an adult criminal trial is held. The child has the right to be represented by counsel at this hearing. Rather than trying the case to a jury, however, a judge hears the matter and decides whether the juvenile has committed the acts alleged in the petition. ? If the allegations have not been proven to the court's satisfaction, the judge will dismiss the case. If the judge decides that the allegations have been proven, he or she may rule that the child is a status offender or a delinquent. A second juvenile court hearing is then held to determine the disposition of the matter. If the juvenile is not considered dangerous to others, he or she may be put on probation. While on probation, the juvenile must follow the rules established by the court and report regularly to his or her probation officer. Serious offenders, however, may be sent to a juvenile correction facility. Other treatment options include community treatment, like making restitution to the victim or performing community service; residential treatment, in which a juvenile is sent to a group home or work camp, with a focus on rehabilitation; and nonresidential community treatment, in which the juvenile continues to live at home but is provided with services from mental health clinics and other social service agencies.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/6/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You have committed Theft 3rd a gross misdemeanor. You will likely be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations and be on probation for one year. You will have a criminal record.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/5/2014
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
Normally we get the charge dismissed.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 5/5/2014
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
Don't make any further admissions to anyone, plead not guilty, and ask your parents to hire you a lawyer. You need a criminal defense lawyer with experience in defending juvenile crimes, particularly shoplifting or retail fraud. If you cannot afford an attorney ask the court to appoint you one. There may be diversion programs or other sentencing options available to you that could keep the matter off your public record.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/5/2014
Click to View More Answers: