What happens next after I was arrested on a domestic violence after slapping my drunk boyfriend? 3 Answers as of October 20, 2015

He has a history of drinking and rehab and I have ever been in trouble, work two jobs and go to school full time. I don't understand why I was arrested for defending myself from him.

Law Offices of Steven J. Pisani
Law Offices of Steven J. Pisani | Steven Pisani
Self defense can legitimize your touching of him so that it is not a crime. We all have the right to defend ourselves. The prosecution does not always inform you of these rights. Speak to a qualified criminal defense attorney to see if you can use self defense to win your case.
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
You should consult an attorney experienced in domestic violence cases, like me. The consultation will give you an idea of why the case is happening & what the realistic results could be. It is a complex law & situation.
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law | John Hugger
You are allowed to use self-defense. However, the cops probably saw no marks, bruises or cuts on you and a red mark on his face from the slap, so you were the one they arrested. Hire a good attorney ASAP! I offer a free in-office half-hour consultation if you would care to avail yourself of it. Please call and schedule an appointment. Good luck!