What happens in a juvenile burglary case? How? 5 Answers as of May 04, 2015

My stepson was caught in a burglary. He is only 16 and it has been a week since he was arrested and we still have not heard a thing. What is the penalty if he is guilty? What is the worst case scenario for his crime? Do juveniles get public defenders too or do we need to hire somebody?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
If it is his first time he will probably get probation depending on the amount of stuff he stole. You may qualify for a PD some are good some are not so good. You should also interview a private lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/4/2015
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
You are required to hire a lawyer if you are financially able. If you are indigent, then one will be appointed to represent him. Depending on his criminal history and the underlying facts of the offense, he could go to TYC (kiddie prison.) He could get probation. Contact lawyers who have experience with juvenile matters to get advice on how to proceed.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/1/2015
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Hire an attorney. The worse that can happen is juvenile probation.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/1/2015
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
Worst case on conviction he can be sent to department of youth services(prison for kids); And yes he needs an attorney
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/1/2015
Chambers Law Firm
Chambers Law Firm | Dan E. Chambers
Public defenders are appointed if you are indigent. If he has no prior juvenile record, it is looking at minimal, if any, custody time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/1/2015
Click to View More Answers: