What happens in court for a misdemeanor theft ticket? 5 Answers as of September 23, 2013

A friend and I got caught stealing and were told to put everything away at a holiday gas station. We put it away couple of hours later and had to talk to a cop. We got tickets. Hers was payable but mine says I got court which is Monday. I'm scared. What happens now? I'm 18, no record prior, and everything was put back and all we got was a ticket.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You should be scared. You face a possible misdemeanor conviction for petty theft or larceny. If you are convicted of a misdemeanor, you will have a criminal record for the rest of your life. This could hinder your education and employment opportunities in major way. You need to retain legal counsel to appear with you in court and attempt to negotiate a deal with the prosecution that will not leave you with a criminal record.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/23/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your college/career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2013
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
You need to hire an attorney to handle this for you. If you are convicted of stealing, you will have that conviction on your permanent criminal record forever. It will prevent you from getting a job, renting an apartment, getting federal student loans, etc. An attorney can probably get the theft charge dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense, such as "Littering."
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/23/2013
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
These are criminal theft charges. The best thing for you to do is find a criminal defense attorney in your area that can help you understand the law, the process, and can fight for you. Theft charges can have a major impact on the rest of your life and make it very difficult to get a good job.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 9/23/2013
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Ask for diversion.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/23/2013
Click to View More Answers: