What happens in a class action lawsuit regarding employment wages? How? 5 Answers as of September 30, 2015

I received a letter explaining a class action suit that I am entitled to join but I want to know what might be required of me. It involves overtime not being paid.

S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You should read the letter you received to see if it gives the details of the lawsuit. Generally, a class action lawsuit involves a group of people (a class) who have suffered some common wrong committed by the named defendants, but whose individual claims would be so small as to not be worth the person's time and effort to pursue as individual claims. Under such circumstances the courts sometimes allow these persons to band their claims together into one suit (a class action) in order to redress the wrongful conduct of the defendant. The persons who potentially comprise the class are contacted by attorneys representing the class to see if the individuals would like to join. In the event of a verdict or settlement of the case the attorneys for the class usually establish a mechanism, approved by the courts, to allow individual class members to submit their respective claims to receive a part of the fund established by the defendants as payment for settlement of the case. If the individual submits their claim and it is determined to be valid they will usually receive something, but it will seldom be any large sum of money. Individual class members usually lose nothing by joining the class since they seldom are deposed or have to appear in court to testify. Therefore you probably will lose nothing by joining the class.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
I would have to read the notice you received to advise you. entitled to join? I suspect you may have this backwards. You likely ARE a member of the class, unless you opt out. If you remain in the class, some one else does all the work, and you may receive some settlement. If you opt out, you are on your own to file your own suit, hire your own lawyer, etc. But, I would have to read the notice you received to advise you, and you should not rely on this as legal advice.
It is impossible to answer your question given the facts presented. Generally parties who participate in a class action have very little to do, and generally get very little if there is a settlement as well. I would suggest if you are concerned about this and have been denied overtime pay when you should've received it you might want to speak with your own attorney first before joining the class action.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
If you join the class, you will be bound by the reward the attorney for class will be able to get. Also, you might have to testify in court or at the depositions. You might have to share documents and other evidence that you have relevant to the case or your credibility.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Contact the attorney on the letter with your questions.