What happens if you talk to someone about your idea before patenting it? 3 Answers as of October 26, 2010

I have talked to a few friends and co-workers about my idea and have yet to patent it. Will my lawyer be worried about providing me with a patent if other people know about my idea?

Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
You are running the risk that the people you disclose it to will steal it from you. I strongly recommend having everyone to whom you disclose your invention sign a Confidential Disclosure Agreement. You must file your U.S. patent application within one year of the date you first offer your invention for sale or publicly use/disclose your invention. Many foreign countries do not provide this one year "grace period" and require that the patent application be on file before you make any disclosures. Please contact me if you would like a Confidential Disclosure Agreement or if you have further questions.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Only if you disclosed how to make ans use it and if you did not use a confidentiality agreement.
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
In the United States, we have a first to invent system. You should always try and patent your invention before disclosing it to anybody, but so long as you have diligent records proving that you are the real inventor, and so long as you file your invention within 1 year of your first disclosure, you should be fine