What happens if you sell cigarettes to minors as an individual? 1 Answers as of November 01, 2010

I am over 18 and sometimes buy cigarettes for friends who are minors. The mother of one of my friends found out and threatened that she would report me to the police. Could I face any serious charges because of this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
Under Minnesota law, you may be exposed to both criminal charges and civil action for contributing to a child's delinquency. The criminal charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. In a civil proceeding, the Court may

(1) restrain the person from any further act or omission in violation of section 260B.425;

(2) prohibit the person from associating or communicating in any manner with the child;

(3) require the person to participate in evaluation or services determined necessary by the court to correct the conditions that contributed to the child's delinquency or status as a juvenile petty offender;

(4) require the person to provide supervision, treatment, or other necessary care;

(5) require the person to pay restitution to a victim for pecuniary damages arising from an act of the child relating to the child's delinquency or status as a juvenile petty offender;

(6) require the person to pay the cost of services provided to the child or for the child's protection; or

(7) require the person to provide for the child's maintenance or care if the person is responsible for the maintenance or care, and direct when, how, and where money for the maintenance or care shall be paid. If the person is receiving public assistance for the child's maintenance or care, the court shall authorize the public agency responsible for administering the public assistance funds to make payments directly to vendors for the cost of food, shelter, medical care, utilities, and other necessary expenses.

FFor a consultation call us.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 11/1/2010
Click to View More Answers: