What happens if you get a summons for unlawful possession of marijuana? 1 Answers as of August 17, 2017

Last night I and my other 3 friends was smoking weed in the car and the cops pulled up right in front of us. Basically they searched the car and everything and gave only me and the driver a summons because the blunt was found in the cup holder next to us. I have a clean record and have no idea how this process could or will go. I am 19 and my financial aid was just processed 3 days ago and it went through successfully so does that mean I will get aid for this coming year? Or will they take it back? Also I cannot get an attorney because I can't tell my mom anything. If it gets dismissed will it stay on my record? If I have to pay a fine will it stay on my record? Will this show up on my record and affect my application for jobs and grad school? Lastly, the cop said "if you pay the $25 within a week you'll be fine" what the hell does that mean? If that's the case why'd he give me a summons? I'm so confused and I'm really scared because nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Depending on what County this is in there is a basis for an outright dismissal (not an ACD). Do not pay any fine and do not take legal advice from the police. Smarten up and tell your parents what happened or find a way to hire a lawyer. Do you really want to put your future at risk?