What happens if you get laid off from a company that sponsors your visa? 3 Answers as of November 04, 2010

I am allowed to work in the United States because my company sponsors my visa. However we are facing a period of massive layoffs and I am afraid of what will happen to my citizenship status if I am laid off. I have an H1B.

First, what you have is not citizenship, but what is called a non-immigrant work visa, of which the H-1B is one of many such categories of visas. If your company lays you off, then you are officially considered out of status, but you are able to transfer your H-1B if able to obtain another labor-certified employer that hires you and successfully sponsors you in a companion petition for H-1B. Or, if your future employer also files a petition for adjustment of status for an employment-based green card, there is a possibility to obtain legal status, if your original H-1B visa has not expired. If you wish to discuss your situation further, please feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone to set up an in-person or phone consultation. I look forward to hearing from you.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You will have to return home, or you can find a new company with similar position to sponsor you again.
If you are terminated, you would be out of status and would have to either find a new job right away and transfer your status to the new employer or if you remain in the US, you would be considered to be out of status.