What happens if you get DUIs in multiple states? 7 Answers as of June 26, 2013

A friend has two DUI's in California within the last 7 years. His license is still suspended from not completing his classes. He just got an agrivated DUI in Arizona. I know that the states communicate, so AZ will know about the DUI's. Since he has priors in California what will they classify this current DUI as? I understand that there are two types with different punishments for both.

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
DUI' s in another state qualify as DUI's here if they possess the same elements of California offenses, like the same definition if what constitutes the crime.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Chances are he will be charged as a third offender and will lose his Ariz. license as well as serve jail time or need to go into a program. You describe the charge as an " aggravated DUI ". If that means there was an injury accident it could mean prison.
If his two prior DUI's in California are within the past 7 years, then Arizona will likely charge this new offense as a 3rd DUI. Plus, your friend may have issues in California for a probation violation. Your friend should consult with a qualified DUI attorney that is licensed to practice in Arizona as a 3rd Offense DUI is very serious.
Sounds like you need to ask an Arizona attorney. However, I can tell you that sometimes the DA and/or court is willing to strike an out-of-state prior, especially if it's kind of old. DUI standards vary by state and often an argument can be made that a prior from one state does not meet another state's standards.
    If the Arizona prosecutor is aware of the California convictions, then your friend will be changed with a 3rd time DUI, with corresponding consequences.
    Friend faces a 3rd, no matter what state he gets it in. I dont know what the AZ penalties are for that, but CA has jail time for the 3rd in 10 years. He also faces driving on suspended license, regardless of the state that suspended it. He probably faces probation violation[s]. Tell him to get an attorney.