What happens if someone got a DUI in another state? 4 Answers as of July 19, 2011

My brother lived in Florida 30 years ago and got a DUI and never took care of the charges. Since that time he lived in Calf., mostly homeless and recently came back to New York and straightened his life out. He applied for a NYS drivers permit and passed the test and received it. When he applied to get a drivers license he was told he couldn't get one until he went to DUI classes, to the tune of $30.00 per class for 3 months, which ends up costing a couple thousand dollars in the end, all because of the DUI in Florida 30 years ago. Is there any way to get around this?

I would need further details and you may need a Florida attorney since the case may depend upon Florida Law. I am not admitted in Florida.
He could go to the state where he was arrested and have the charge vacated. After that the state that he wants to get a license may not require the classes. That might cost the same amount as the classes but at least it would not be a conviction or open case.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
There is no way around it.
I have never encountered what you described. He really should try to straighten out the charges in Florida.