What happens if my son forges my signature? 6 Answers as of November 05, 2010

I recently found out that my son has been forging my signature on documents given to him by his high school administrators. I am angry at my son but do not think that he should face any charges. I am worried that the school will find out and contact me, realizing it is not my signature. If the forgery is obvious, does it matter if I tell them that I am okay with it or is it still a crime?

If he forged your signature with some type of fraudulent intent it is likely a criminal offense. It is unlikely that the school will contact the police if you do not wish them to but no guarantee. If the police are contacted you may have no control over whether they file charges. So if the school contacts them I would probably tell them the truth but tell them you are taking care of it and hope they go along.
It is a crime but this would by handled by the school.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
A forgery occurs when someone signs your name to a document without your consent.

If the school notices the difference in signatures, you can tell them that your son had permission to sign those documents for you. Then, he should not be charged with a crime, although he may suffer some administrative penalties with the school.

In the future, you should sign all school documents.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
It can be a criminal offense. If you do not want trouble for your son, then you should confront him directly rather than reporting it.
If they determine forgery, it probably wont matter what you think or say, unless you lie and claim its your signature. Honesty is always the best policy. Make your own moral decision.