What happens if my friend ran from the cops? 35 Answers as of May 27, 2011

The cops were called. They were drinking in the parking lot. The cops came to his window, when he decided to hit the gas and ran. He got away, and wrecked his truck. When he went back to his truck the next day it was gone.

Anderson & Carnahan
Anderson & Carnahan | Stephen Anderson
Contact an Attorney, truck sounds like it was impounded.
There are a few things he could be charged with, so he should wait and see what the charges are and hire an attorney.
Your friend should retain an attorney and not speak with the police. Unless they can identify him as the driver they may lack probable cause to arrest him. People usually do not understand their rights and the law and they will make admissions that can be used against them at trial. Anyone could have been driving his vehicle and the police have no evidence at this point unless he makes admissions that he was driving the vehicle. Feel free to call for a consultation.
Along with anything else he might be charged with, he likely will be charged with resisting arrest in violation of Penal Code section 148.
Your friend will likely be arrested for attempting to elude and reckless driving and just about everything else that the police can think of. He may also have problems with his insurance company providing coverage on his wrecked truck.
    He should not speak to the police without a lawyer. He may be able to defend, successfully as long as he doesn't make admissions. Stay well.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    It sounds as though your friend has now exposed himself to criminal liability for hit and run. This is a very serious offense and if the police have impounded his truck then they likely have his information based on the vehicle's registration. It is very likely that a warrant has been or will be issued for his arrest. Furthermore, individuals who are aware of any crime he may have committed and do not cooperate with police can potentially become 'accessories after the fact' and also face criminal charges. For this reason it is very important for your friend to consult with an attorney before speaking to police. An attorney will be able to determine whether or not a warrant has been issued and advise him how to proceed as far as turning himself in or not. If you or your friend are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    They will hold the truck until someone contacts the police and claims it. Visit my website for more information.
    At the very least, your friend could be charged with the misdemeanor Obstructing a Police Officer. If the police gave chase in their vehicles, your friend could be looking at the felony charge of Eluding a Police Officer. That would result in the suspension of your friend's license. It all comes down to whether the police can identify your friend. If the got his license number, they will be in touch. It is of the utmost importance that, no matter what happens, he or she needs to keep his or her mouth shut. If the case is slim on evidence, your friend could inadvertently make the prosecutor's case by talking to the police or anyone else about this situation. Tell him or her to keep it on the down low and this whole situation might go away.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Reckless Evasion is a serious crime. He could be charged, convicted and end up in jail. I would need to know a little more about it to tell whether the charge is defensible. For more info or a fee quote call.
    Running from the police is never a good idea. Possible charges include reckless driving, Fleeing & Eluding, Leaving the Scene of an Accident. There may be suspicion of drinking and driving, and possible charges. At this point, when attempting to recover the vehicle, these charges may be raised after some police investigation. You should consider retaining an attorney to discuss options at this point. I hope that this was helpful.
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    I would advise that your friend consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Please take notice that this response does not contain specific legal advice. Your friend should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney for specific legal advice for their particular circumstances. If your friend has an active bench warrant, they should turn themselves in to be arraigned. Speaking in general terms, there are a variety of charges that may result from allegations of running or resisting a police officer. They range from misdemeanors to felonies. However, the most common charge is commonly known as "fleeing & eluding," as defined by MCL Section 750.479a. This type of felony has four different degrees, depending on the type of specific conduct alleged. Further, if a person has prior felony convictions or prior fleeing and eluding convictions, their charge and their maximum possible sentence for any plea or conviction could potentially increase significantly. Your friend should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney. If your friend has an active warrant, they should turns themselves in to be arraigned. Most attorneys will provide a free initial consultation.
    The Grigsby Firm
    The Grigsby Firm | Sherlock Grigsby
    Get a lawyer to inquire with the towing companies or police to see if in fact the car was simply towed or taken as evidence. Either way the friend should not be making any statements to anyone about the incident until speaking with a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    They probably have his truck. And they are probably looking for him. He should get a lawyer.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    This sounds like a crime that is called, in Oregon, where I practice, "Attempt to Elude Police in a Vehicle." It's surprising that the police haven't contacted your friend yet since it's fairly clear they towed his truck. You can be sure that if he were to attempt to retrieve the truck from the tow yard they'd want to talk to him and if the officer who approached him can ID him, he may be in some hot water. Good advice for your buddy would be to not try and get the ruck out himself, better to hire an attorney to look into the matter and, if necessary, negotiate with law enforcement on your friend's behalf. Attempt to Elude in a Vehicle is a Class C Felony where I work, although most people convicted of it get probation and up to 30 days in jail as well as a license suspension. He also may be looking at a charge of Attempted Assault on a Public Safety Officer or Recklessly Endangering Another Person, depending on how close the cop was to his car when he took off. I wouldn't expect him to be charged with DUII but I could see a Reckless Driving in his future as well.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    He may be charged with a criminal matter. He should not admit or say anything about who was the driver of the vehicle or where he was at the time of the driving. He should probably contact a lawyer ASAP to discuss all the details confidentially.
    Flight to avoid arrest, Obstruction of a police office are all possible charges. Truck may have been towed due to location and not just his flight. Registered owner should contact police and report vehicle missing. Cops may not have a good ID on driver. He need a criminal lawyer, have him call me and for a free consult.
    Law Office of Michael Moody
    Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
    If your friend literally "ran" from the cops, meaning on foot, then the charge would be misdemeanor Obstruction of a Law Enforcement Officer. If your friend drove his vehicle to avoid a police investigation, then the charge would be a misdemeanor Fleeing and Attempting to Elude. Even though both charges are misdemeanors, they are quite serious and look very bad to prospective employers on a criminal background check.
    Fleeing an officer in a motor vehicle is a felony with up to three years in prison. In a manner other than a motor vehicle is a misdemeanor which is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. He should hire experienced counsel immediately.
    I would recommend that he hire a criminal attorney to investigate whether or not charges may be pending and to advise his as to his rights and options. Good luck!
    I suspect that the truck is in the possession of the police. They have probably ran the registration and know who the owner is. From this information they will probably investigate who was driving. At some point your friend will probably be contacted by the police for questioning. He has the right to remain silent and be represented by an attorney. Once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the prosecutor for review and possibly the issuance of charges. Sounds like your friend may want to seek some legal advise. For more information, contact us.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    Your friend will probably be charged with fleeing and eluding from a police office.
    What a mess! The police will most likely figure out his identity from the truck. If he wants the truck back he will need to call impound lots or the police. There is a good chance that he will be arrested and charged with evading and/or hit and run. He should speak to an attorney as soon as possible.
    It depends. If they had their lights on or if they told him to stop then he could be charged with resisting and obstructing which is a felony. He should contact a lawyer immediately if any charges are filed against him.
    He should get an attorney. He should not make any statements to the police with out an attorney being present.
    He turned a misdemeanor into a felony. He needs to give all the facts to an attorney. It is better to go to the police before they come get him.
    I'm sure he is looking at a few felonies. He must obtain legal counsel ASAP.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    He is in a lot of trouble. Here is a quick list of the crimes he may be charged with: Attempting to Elude a police officer; Failure to perform the duties of driver (Hit and Run) Recklessly endangering (passengers in his car); There could be more. He needs an attorney. Call me.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    There is most likely a warrant out for his arrest for a variety of offenses. He needs an attorney to put out this fire before they find him.
    Probably the police are investigating the occurrence, attempting to ascertain the identification of the friend. He is facing hit and run, for the accident. Of course, the police must first be able to identify the driver of the truck, before a formal arrest and charges can be filed. I would doubt that they could establish DUI, as they were not able to test him or observe him well enough to make a professional opinion of being under the influence. In any case, I would tell your friend to expect a visit or call from the police sometime soon. Before turning himself in, he should retain counsel to appear with him, if so summoned by the police.
    Get caught, get arrested. Run and hide successfully, without the police knowing who you are, you get away with it. However, the car registration is going to point to him, and he is going to have a warrant for arrest on at least several criminal charges related to running, crashing, etc. After arrest, youll learn the actual charge[s] filed against you when you appear for arraignment at your first court hearing. What can you do? Hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense, other than the advice to exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Your friend is potentially looking at misdemeanor resisting or delaying an officer.... or it could be all the way up to felony conduct, depending on all the facts. He's also facing hit and run for the wreck. He needs a lawyer Now.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney