What happens if my friend cannot pay back court fines in Iowa? Posted on January 03, 2011

I have an old friend who was released form prison shortly after the fourth of July, 2010. He went on assault charges. He ended up being sentenced to a few day in jail and lot of community service. He told me a couple weeks ago that they had changed the laws and that he had to pay one thousand dollars or go to jail. He was suppose to pay it by the end December 2010. Unfortunately due to his conviction he has had a hard time finding work and his family is not able to help him out. What I need to know is A) Can they change the laws like that so that a person who is already sentenced to one thing has to do something else, B) If they can is there anyway we can do to make a payment arrangement so that my friend does not have to go back to jail which in addition to having to pay the one thousand dollars he would have to pay and additional amount of 64.95 per night spent in jail, C) Is what lawmakers are doing be considered extortion?