What happens if my chapter 7 is denied, can I file again? 14 Answers as of October 31, 2013

I have recently file a chapter 7, scheduled on the 26th of September. I have about 15k in cash, and a 20 dollar an hour job. The rest of my money 13k is in an IRA. If I have health insurance which I don't, I would not have any money left over. I could get it now but it would look so suspect. If denied, then what? And the if things go south with my job, could I file another chapter 7 or would I be eligible for another chapter 7 or would I have to complete a 13? I feel I will be denied because I am working, my personal asset including my truck and tools don't exceed 8k. I really feel I blew it. He did suggest chapter 13.

Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
You will probably lose the cash to the trustee. You should be able to keep your other assets and get a discharge.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
I am curious how you have filed bankruptcy with 15k cash. I would think the bulk of that is nonexempt. Under some circumstances you can refile chapter 7.
I am uncertain of the grounds for dismissal. If it was "without prejudice" you can refile. My guess is that you were over on the means test (the numbers on this vary bu state). If you have not seen a lawyer, I suggest you do so. (Not sure who "he" is).
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
If your scheduled hearing is your 341a creditors meeting then at that hearing the trustee will question you mostly about our assets and debts. The issue of qualification for chapter 7 is not really an issue at the 341 meeting. As long as your income is below what is allowed for chapter 7 and all your assets are exempted then it should not be a problem. I think you need to relax. From what you have told me your case is a fairly normal case that should go through fine.
Richard L. Hirsh, P.C. | Richard L. Hirsh
You can convert your chapter 7 to a chapter 13. It is not clear why you would have filed a chapter 7 if you have 15K in cash that is apparently not exempt. What is the source of that money? You can only get a bankruptcy discharge once every 8 years, as a general rule. So re-filing in less than that time is not usually advisable. If you have already filed the chapter 7 you cannot use that 15K in cash. Be cautious so as not to put your discharge in jeopardy. Conversion to a 13 may be an option, especially if your attorney recommended it already.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Do you have an attorney? You should never have filed a Ch 7 with $15,000 cash, the trustee is probably going to take a good chunk of that depending on what other assets you have that need to go under the wildcard exemption. If it is denied, you generally should wait a year, due to the protection you lose for the future filings if you don't, unless there has been a change for the better in your situation. If the trustee suggested converting to a Ch 13, I'd take the hint and do that!
    R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
    Did you tell your attorney about the $15k in cash? The trustee will snap that up before you can think. It sounds like you should have been in a Chapter 13 from the beginning.
    Law Offices of David A. Tilem | Michael Avanesian
    Pay for an attorney before you do something and lose all your cash!
    Armstrong Kellett Bartholow P.C.
    Armstrong Kellett Bartholow P.C. | Gary Armstrong
    What did your attorney say?
    The IRA is exempt and if you filed under the federal exemption you will have a wildcard exemption to cover most of your cash. If the trustee asks for a payment of a few thousand, then you should just give it to him and get your discharge.
    Who suggested a chapter 13? Are you represented? If you are, you should be asking these questions to your attorney. If you are not, your chapter 7 will not be dismissed because you have a job, if at all.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    Who is "he?" The allowed exemptions (assuming they have been properly claimed) for the jurisdiction in which you live will govern what you are able to keep and protect from your trustee and your creditors. If you have a lawyer that is who you should be speaking with. If you do not have a lawyer you may want to consult with one.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    It really depends on why your Chapter 7 was dismissed. Perhaps you could have converted your case. Without details it is hard to say.
    Stuart P Gelberg
    Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
    Yes you can file again but that is not important. Were you denied a discharge? If so filing again won't help. If you were denied because section 707(b) you need a change in circumstances and file ch 7 again or a ch 13 now.