What happens if I was smoking marijuana on campus with an out of state medical marijuana card? 4 Answers as of May 04, 2011

Is there any laws pertaining to students of public school, who have a marijuana card, NOT state issued, possessing marijuana on campus, and smoking marijuana on campus?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
You likely will need medical card from California to be safe.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Joseph A. Katz
Law Office of Joseph A. Katz | Joseph A. Katz
There are many laws pertaining to marijuana in California, which laws are different than Federal laws on this subject. First, however, you should check with the school to see what their policies are for on-campus smoking.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You should get an experienced attorney. These types of cases are considered relatively minor in California, and a good attorney can often get a reduction or dismissal of charge. Sometimes this involves you agreeing to pay a fine and/or going to class.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Committing a crime will get you arrested, and possibly expelled or suspended. Possession of dope is a crime, regardless of what many may think or like. That card is of no relevance outside its jurisdiction.

Of course you can fight it. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right.

Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict and jail you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: