What happens if I was caught stealing for the second time? How? 8 Answers as of March 10, 2014

I was cited for taking an item (value $10.59) from target. I had a prior petty theft conviction about six or seven years ago and had it expunged. I was not on parole and have not been for some time. I have no other convictions and served some 48 hours of community service for the first offense, 3 years probation and served one day in jail (although it was not ordered by the judge, I just was slow on getting an O.R.). I was given a citation for PC 484(a)-Petty theft by the officer. I was sure to not say anything when questioned, as I was sure that nothing I said could be used to help me. I would like to ask what I can expect to happen with this case? Is there any possibility for dismissal or other sentence where I avoid getting a record from this (i.e. plea bargain, etc.)? What should be my main concerns? Is jail a real probability?

You are going to jail, because that is the only way that the judge will understand that you understand.
Shoplifting items of a value of less than $950.00 is petty theft. The first three times a person is convicted of petty theft it is a misdemeanor. However, if the amount stolen is worth $50.00 or less it may be charged as an infraction. If you have three or more priors for petty theft, the next one can be a felony or a misdemeanor. Infractions are punished by a fine. Misdemeanors are punished by up to one year in the county jail and/or up to a $1,000.00 fine. Felonies are punished by sixteen months, two years, or three years in state prison. The normal punishment for first time petty theft is three years summary probation, a fine, community service, theft classes, and restitution to the victim.
Depending on your record, we may be able to have the case dismissed.
Have no idea if there is the possibility of a dismissal since I haven't seen the case. While your record may have been "expunged", the judge is still able to see what happened with that case. This is a second offense, if convicted, the maximum penalty is one year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. What that sentence is, is ultimately up to the judge. One thing for certain, the judge will consider this a second offense, and probably figure that you haven't learned from past experience. If convicted, I would expect you to do jail time.
Petty theft with a prior can be filed as a felony, which means state prison. Time to shop around for a lawyer.
    You have no basis for discharging the charge. Your previous sentence was rather extreme and, that may not help you here. Still, I see community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, and probation. Jail for $10.59 not likely.
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
    Yes, jail is a real possibility. In Missouri, the maximum penalty for petty theft is 1 year in jail and a $1,000 fine. If you hire a lawyer to represent you, the lawyer can probably get the charge dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense.
    There is a possibility that this can stay off?your record but that is not so good because of the prior matter.