What happens if I plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge? 3 Answers as of June 13, 2011

I have been charged for misdemeanor in North Carolina; concealment. On the paper, my bond is $300. When I go to court, do I ask for a lawyer after the charge or state I am guilty or what? I cannot afford a lawyer at the moment. Please help thanks.

Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
Ask the Court to appoint you a public defender. What will happen depends on the facts and your prior record, but I would strongly recommend that you ask the Court to appoint you a public defender.
RTS Law Group
RTS Law Group | Ryan T. Smith
The prudent thing to do when being charged with a crime is to consult with an attorney. They will be able to take you through the process of handling the case in a way that is most favorable to you.
The Law Office of Eric Johnson
The Law Office of Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
If you cannot afford an attorney, request a public defender. Do NOT plead guilty without first consulting with an attorney.