What happens if I overstayed on my transit visa? 2 Answers as of May 23, 2011

I been here in US almost 7 years now, I was force to stay because I don't have enough money to get a ticket from Florida to California then to Philippines (I was in Cuba and planning to go back in the Philippines I have a transit visa). I got married here in US but got divorce my application for residency was not continued because I got divorce with my wife. Now I been asking myself this thing for a long time don't know what to do I cannot work legally, I am so afraid that I go to jail that people always keep on telling me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
In most cases to obtain a legal status you must be in status. For certain categories of permanent residency you need only to show a legal entry such as a petition by an immediate relative. The transit visa is not a legal entry though so you need to have your case assessed by an experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/23/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You are subject to deportation proceeding. Yes, you might be detained. You can leave and then apply for waiver.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: