What happens if I overstayed my I-94 green card? 3 Answers as of October 14, 2010

I came to the United States on my temporary visa. But I have been here past the date that it was stamped on my I-94 form. What is my legal immigration residency status in the United States?

When you stayed beyond the date stamped on your I-94 form you became out of status, eliminating you from being able to obtain an immigration benefit absent an exception. If you have not overstayed by more than six months, you may still depart without being subject to a 3 or 10 year bar to applying for a legal visa. If you want to discuss your situation further, by all means e-mail me or call.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You are currently out of status and can be deported from the United States.
You are out of status as soon as your I-94 expires and you start to accrue unlawful presence time in the US. Once you are unlawfully present for 180 days, if you leave the US, you will be barred from reentry for a period of 3 years. If you are unlawfully present for 365 days, you will be barred from reentry to the US for 10 years if you depart. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.