What happens if I lose a dui administrative DMV hearing? 9 Answers as of August 05, 2011

My DUI DMV hearing in California is coming up. If I lose this administrative hearing, my understanding is that is not reported to my home state of Washington for any kind of License suspension and that only my California driving privileges will be revoked. Most people are telling me that only a DUI conviction in Cal.court will be reported to Washington state for a Lic. suspension under the interest compact agreement between states?

The latter is correct. Washington will know of any conviction but not be informed of the administrative suspension.
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
California won't automatically report a DUI suspension to another state. Usually the states rely on abstracts of convictions before they'll take action. But you might want to consult a Washington State lawyer to see what the policy is in that state.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Yes, the Administrative Hearing is just to determine whether your driving privileges in California will be suspended. It does not necessarily affect your Washington license.
Any criminal conviction or DMV action is entered into the central database. All states honor the actions of the other states, such as license suspensions. Unless you win the DMV appeal hearing, your license will be automatically suspended by the CA DMV, subject to the possibility of issuance of a restricted license after serving at least 3-6 months actual suspension. The court also may order a suspension, which would run consecutive with any DMV ordered suspension.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    If you lose the DMV hearing your privilege to drive in California will be suspended. They will notify Washington (50% of the time it actually happens in my experience) pursuant to the Interstate Compact. Washington may or may not take action.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    It is my understanding that the suspension will be reported
    Most states even Washington will be aware of the California DMV suspension and will honor that suspension in the other state. It sounds as if you are going to attempt to conduct a DMV hearing on your own. I would advise against that. The DMV is a tough place to win and almost impossible for a lay person.
    Not entirely true. If your license is suspended due to the APS hearing lost (and suppose you win your court case), other states in the compact will still know the basis of your suspension. In other words, they still will know that you lost a DMV Hearing for driving with a 0.08% or greater, and they may impose additional punishment on your out-of-state license if the California penalty is less severe than your home state's (they will punish you as if you had lost the DMV hearing in your home state).