What happens if I ignore my civil demand letter? 9 Answers as of November 06, 2013

My first and only crime, I stupidly issued myself money card to buy diapers for my baby cause I was struggling and I got terminated. I agreed to pay the $53.99 back. She had me sign a paper or two but they sent me a letter telling me to pay $453.99. I can't pay the $400.00, I don't have a job or any family to help. What should I do?

Ignore it until the attorney calls you or the police tell you about the criminal arrest warrant.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
They almost never do more than send the letter and hope you are stupid enough to pay, which about half the people are. Most lawyers advise people to ignore all demand letters. You must make better decisions in the future or you will not have one.
If you do not pay the amount then they can sue you and get EVEN MORE money. Pay it.
Nothing happens. Don't confuse the civil case between you and the store with the criminal case in court between you and the state. Signing the papers was foolish enough, and paying the civil demand will make you look even more guilty.
You can still be charged criminally.