What happens if I have 2 charges shoplifting and now have a pretrial conference with prosecutor? 2 Answers as of September 06, 2017

I got 2 charges shoplifting. First charge was for $60. They didn’t see me do anything. They didn’t see me take anything. Second charge, they caught me $20 of Legos leaving out of the store. When they looked in my bag, all the Legos were in my bag. The cop wrote it up as 2 charges.

James Sterling Lawrence, Attorney at Law | James Sterling Lawrence
A pretrial conference gives the prosecutor an opportunity to offer you a plea bargain. You would discuss it with your attorney and decide whether to take it, or go to trial. I do not have enough information to know whether the prosecutor does or does not have a good case against you. I do not have enough information to know whether you have good legal motions to file, such as a motion to suppress evidence against you because of illegal search. If the first and second charges allege conduct that happened at the same time, you might be able to win a motion to drop one charge for double jeopardy. However, you might be able to get that result anyway, from a plea bargain.
First- you should hire a local attorney familiar with your court, judge and prosecutor. If you have a clean record, you should be in ok shape. If not, that gets more complex. You are facing up to 93 days in jail if convicted. If you are in metro Detroit, call me if you'd like to discuss further.