What happens if I got caught shoplifting while on DUI probation? 3 Answers as of May 19, 2016

Today I got stopped at a grocery taking a pair of 35 dollar shoes. It's my first offense of this nature ever. I am currently on supervised probation for a DUI charge. I already did my jail time for the DUI. I am wondering what I do and what the most likely outcome of this situation will be. Please help!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law | John Hugger
Typically when and if you are convicted on the shoplifting committed while on probation for the DUI the DUI probation will be revoked and you may be given a jail sentence or the probation may be reinstated with an extension of the probation. Definitely hire an attorney ASAP since you can deny the probation violation until a conviction occurs and the attorney will keep you from testifying on the probation violation which testimony can then be used to convict you on the shoplifting. Was a $35 pair of shoes worth the hassle, and if not, why did you not recognize that fact?
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 5/19/2016
Law Offices of Steven J. Pisani
Law Offices of Steven J. Pisani | Steven Pisani
Typically any police contact is required to be reported to your probation officer. In addition, any conviction for a criminal offense while on probation could and probably would revoke that probation.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 5/19/2016
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
No doubt a condition of your DUI probation was that you should not violate the law while on probation. Your probation officer likely asks you at each meeting if you have had any contacts with the police. The PO can find out about it whether you tell the PO or not, so likely you should tell your PO about it. If they file a complaint to violate your probation, it will likely wait until the shoplifting case is resolved in court, then they will decide what sanction they want to impose if they find you violated probation. It would be a very good idea to hire a lawyer to deal with this issue directly.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 5/19/2016
Click to View More Answers: