What happens if I got arrested for shoplifting and I have never been arrested in my life? 1 Answers as of December 02, 2015

I was in a store and I do regret what I did. I do have remorse. I had enough money for 1 box of cereal off brand, fruit snacks, apples and caramel dip, and 2 made up salads. I put wax melts and a few $2 Christmas ornaments in my purse. A plain clothed guard saw me, waited for me to check out and stopped me at the door. The police were called. I was cuffed and arrested, never read my rights, finger printed and they were going to hold me because I did not have $250 bail. I had our vehicle so my husband could not go to the bank and come bail me out. After two phone calls to my husband without knowing what he was doing, they decided instead of making me spend the night in jail. I lost my leg at 13 and I am disabled and 46. I promised to return to court. They would release me with my court appearance ticket and drive me back to the store where my vehicle was parked in the handicapped area. My husband did take a cab, had our spare keys, got our vehicle, went to an ATM and came to get me. They released me to him and said that I did not need the bail money to be released. I know it was wrong and if I could take it back, I would. I am not going to make excuses like my mom never got a lawyer and sued and got me a decent settlement or even social security disability, so I got a very tiny annuity. I am 30% below the cost of living and I tried once to get Social Security disability on my own and failed. I have a very small income, and do not work, still no excuse for shoplifting but I do not want a criminal record for one poor choice in 46 years. I just was overcome with wanting something for myself and before I knew it, the items were in my purse. What should I do? I have never been arrested in my life. I went to church and confessed my sin and I have been praying every day for forgiveness. This is not the example I wish to set for my teenage children and I was tempted by greed.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Hire a good criminal defense lawyer. There may be a way to get the case dismissed and sealed.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/2/2015
Click to View More Answers: