What happens if I get a minor pregnant? 3 Answers as of June 08, 2011

I am 16 yrs old going to be 17 in about a month. I have already had my daughter with another guy and things didn't work out between us so he us nothing to do with me and my daughter. Just recently I found out I was pregnant again by my 28 year old boyfriend and my mother is threatening him to send him to jail. He has offered me complete help for anything and he's completely supportive but I'm scared that my mom could send him to jail. What are the consequences and what can I do ?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
Technically your boyfriend could be charged with statutory rape since you are under 17. You should hire an attorney to talk to the prosecutor to say that you do not wish any criminal charges to be filed. The prosecutor can bring charges if he chooses to even if yo do not want to file charges. Perhaps talking to your mother may change her mind about filing charges. If not you should hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/8/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
Your summary indicated that you are 16 and have a child with a man that abandoned you. You are now pregnant with another child and dating a 28 yr old man that your mother wants to have arrested. First let me say that one of the most important things in life is to learn from your mistakes. It is actually better to be mature, educated, informed, careful, and to make good decisions so that you avoid the poor decisions in the first place...but often the young and uneducated make poor decisions and that leads to long term problems. You should have been using birth control and perhaps considered not having the child or adoption, but now that you have a child and another on the way you will have to decide how to handle the situation. Both of these men are rapists as you cannot have sex legally with a woman under 17 even if she consents. You mother can have him arrested for statutory rape and he may even be sentenced to a jail term. I do not know anything about this man or your relationship. I cannot advise you as to whether he will make a good parent, husband, or boyfriend, but let's start with the fact that he is foolish enough to have sex with a minor and commit rape instead of finding someone his own age. Does he have an education, a career? Is he kind and faithful to you? You are in serious need of counseling and I would be happy to speak with you for no charge. I devote many hours every week to my blog and answer the questions of thousands of people like you in New York free of charge, but it takes more wisdom to accept good advice than to give it. The truth is hard to hear, and yet it is the only thing that will ever help someone to find the solutions to their problems and to make better decisions in the future. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you and your mother can come to some agreement that will benefit all concerned. It all depends on whether your new rapist boyfriend will be any better than the other one who left you and your child behind and moved on. He is probably too poor to pay child support and will not make much of a father to your child so I hope you can find a man who will become the type of loving, faithful, supportive husband that every woman seeks and deserves.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/7/2011
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Both guys can be arrested for statutory rape.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: