What happens if I forget to report a change of address with a green card? 2 Answers as of November 10, 2010

I have been living and working in the U.S. for 10 years with my green card but two months ago I moved into another house in a different city. I recently found out that I was supposed to notify authorities if I changed addresses but I did not know this and now it is too late. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
Just report it now. There are no dates required; just the current address and the last address you had.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or if I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
If you have not notified the CIS of a change of address through an AR-11 Form, you are in violation of the law. While it may result in deportation proceedings, this measure by CIS and the immigration enforcement agency, ICE, it is extremely rare. Simply send the AR-11 form and change of address with a letter explaining your non-realization of their requirements, and a statement that you are attempting to get back in compliance. They will almost certainly grant it. If you have other questions, please e-mail or phone me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Click to View More Answers: