What happens if I file for divorce and my wife will not fill out the paperwork? 3 Answers as of August 04, 2011

I will be filling for divorce but know that my wife will not respond back to the court or fill out her information in the divorce paperwork. I was told that after 20 days I can petition the court but what happens them?

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
If she fails to file a written response within 20 days, you can file a Motion for Default with the Clerk of Court. Once the Default is granted, you can schedule a hearing with the judge to finalize the divorce.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
You obtain a Default from the clerk and set and notice a Final Hearing. At a Default Final Hearing the court can grant you Dissolution of Marriage, distribute the assets and debts, and consider other matters. I suggest you consult a local Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.