What happens if I file criminal harassment charges against my ex? 14 Answers as of April 11, 2013

My ex and I have court ordered visitation schedule. He is only allowed to speak to me via email because he is so verbally abusive. He is always abusive and derogatory via email whenever we do have to speak, but it escalated to his last email he said "go kill yourself". I'm tired of always being the bigger person. I don't respond 95% of the time with anger but every once in a while, I can't take it. I just want the verbal abuse, the intimidation, derogatory words to stop. It affects me and stresses me out. I've told him repeatedly (every time we email) to speak to me in a civil manner, this just incites him. He has also told me on email that he can't wait to make the rest of my life a living hell. Please help. He also has a prior charge (not sure if it's a conviction) of terrorist threats against a prior employer for threatening her. We share kids and have to see each other.

Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
What exactly do you both communicate about? Depending on that answer, file a motion to modify that type of communication. How often does the communication occur? Be sure to save all communications, and do not stoop to his level with any responses. Have more class than that in your best interest.
He gets arrested. What is your real question? The court system is not going to discipline your ex, to make him a better man. You slept with him. You had children with him. He was good enough then. The system says he is good enough now.
I would bring this to the judge's attention in the custody and visitation matter. That person can let him know that his behavior has consequences.
If the police decide to investigate and submit the report to the D.A., a warrant may issue for your ex's arrest. I would give the police all of the emails, etc., and let them decide what they want to do. If you had a family law attorney originally handling the visitation, etc., I would also contact your attorney and advise him/her of is going on. Your ex may be in violation of the judge's order and could also be found in contempt of court.
Contact the police department right away, ad be prepared to show copies of the e-mail documents he is sending to you to support your assertions of harassment.
    Nothing as you cannot do that, only the government. You can call the authorities and make a claim.
    File to get a Personal Protection Order (PPO) against him.
    Technically you could get a more restrictive antiharassment order. The trouble is you have to communicate because of the kids. You might want to have a neural third party for the visitation exchange. The problem with a person like that is if you escalate things, he may respond in kind. The better approach may be to ignore him.
    Arrange for pick-up / transport by third parties and for an person to oversee any problems. Happy to offer a free consultation to discuss the matter with you.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    You need to get these issues before a Judge by filing the proper motion. An order can be entered prohibiting this behavior and assessing sanctions or other penalties. Contact an attorney to discuss further and file the appropriate pleadings.
    Waldman Palmer LLC
    Waldman Palmer LLC | Christopher J. Palmer
    You should immediately speak to law enforcement and an attorney. If he is in violation of a court order, he may be held in contempt. If he is on probation, this will cause him to be remanded to custody. Protect yourself. Good luck.
    Derik Girdwood Law Office
    Derik Girdwood Law Office | Derik Girdwood
    I am sorry for your situation. Your ex sounds like a loose cannon, and controlling. You may want to show the email/text to the police or have a lawyer file a motion indicating that his verbal abuse must stop. Good luck and God Bless.
    If you do not have an attorney, get one if you have one counsel with him about this. Realize that your failure to react to his improper behavior is what is actually driving him crazy. He more than anything else wishes to cause a reaction from you. If you do not react he will eventually stop or so belligerent that the court will step in, limit his contact with you and perhaps even the children by its order.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    Show it to the JUDGE.