What happens if I dropped charges against someone for identity theft? 1 Answers as of July 29, 2011

When filing a police report, can we refuse to pursue charges against the person who has committed identity theft against us, as this person is a family member? Would this place the responsibility of the creditors to push for punishment rather than us? Would this also stop creditors from holding the victim responsible because we do not want to pursue prosecution? Yes, we prefer not to be directly connected to the punishment.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Laguzzi Law, P.C.
Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
Once you file a police report, the case is not "yours" it is the Commonwealth's which means you are just a witness but the prosecution is the responsibility of the District Attorney. The problem is that you need to file a police report to ensure your credit is not permanently damaged. The best thing is to tell the DA that you want your family member to get a break and ensure that they have a qualified criminal defense attorney.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: