What happens if I drop my paternity suit? 2 Answers as of July 24, 2013

I had to file a paternity suit and request for temporary time share after breaking up with my girlfriend of four years. She would not allow me to see my daughter so I hired an attorney and sued her. I had to release my lawyer due to financial issues. Her new in-laws hired an attorney for her who is now filing motions to compel and child support. What happens if I drop the suit as things between her and I have recently gotten better? Will it all just go away?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
It will go away unless she has a counterclaim, and her counterclaim would remain active unless she dismisses that as well. Further, if the case "goes away", so do any orders entered in it as well as any rights you may have (such as visitation) received in those orders. You need to consult with an attorney about all of your options and the consequences if you file a dismissal.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/24/2013
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
The short answer is no. It will not just go away. If the two of you reach agreements on how to resolve it, then you have to file a stipulation regarding those terms. Those agreements - whatever they may be - would then be turned into a court order. If the two of you reconcile, then you need to file a stipulation to dismiss the case.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: