What happens if I dont want my inheritance? 8 Answers as of July 26, 2011

My mother died on December 31, 2010 and left her real property to us 11 heirs. She also left living rights to one sister, one brother and our brother in law on a second piece of property she owned...big mess! Anyway, my sister and I do not want this inheritance and we have decided to decline it. What do we have to do relinquish our inheritance? Thank you!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Martinson & Beason, PC
Martinson & Beason, PC | Douglas C Martinson II
You can file a disclaimer with the Probate Court stating you do not want to receive anything from the estate.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 7/26/2011
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
You can do a disclaimer, but in Florida that would only pass the mess to your children. Another option might be a Quit Claim Deed to on or all of the others. If there is a formal administration being done it can be dealt with inside of the probate as long as everyone consents
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/21/2011
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
You should contact the probate court where the matter is filed and file a disclaimer.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 7/21/2011
Asset Protection and Elder Law Center
Asset Protection and Elder Law Center | Shadi Alai-Shaffer
you just need to put something in writing stating this and signing off on it the Trustee or Executor can assist you with this and should be able to provide the document stating that you are relinquishing your right to this asset as your inheritance..... you want it to be a full release and it doesn't hurt to seek legal advice to make sure you are doing everything properly
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2011
Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller
Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller | Jackie Robert Geller
Talk to a probate attorney to discuss whether signing one is in your best interest.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2011
    Ashman Law Office
    Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
    You can refuse an inheritance. It should be done clearly and in writing. You may want to meet with an attorney to properly advise you as to language.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: