What happens if I dont show up to a domestic violence case? 3 Answers as of July 13, 2011

I received a subpena for being the victim of a domestic violence case. If I don't show up will I be held in contempt of court in the state of Alabama?

A subpoena is not an invitation to come to court if you want to it is an order compelling you to be in court. You can be found in contempt of court for your failure to be in court on the appointed day, place and time. The penalty for contempt of court can be either a fine or incarceration for up to five days.
It depends on the court. Usually the case is just dismissed. You should not be afraid to testify though if you are in danger of further incidents. Talk to prosecutor about the case. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
You could be held in contempt and a bench warrant could be issued, but practically the Courts usually do not do that and will either continue the case if this is the first setting or will dismiss the case if this is not the first setting.