What happens if I attempt to file a petition for my son to get his green card? 4 Answers as of July 25, 2011

I just got my greencard last year 2009 but i have been here for 11 years cause ive got my papers done for a long time. I have a son in the Philippines where I am planning to petition. Do I have to consult a new lawyer for these matter? Do I have a big chance to get him this year? I already consult a lawyer but I think he cannot give me enough assurance for the migrating of my son. He is now 17 yrs.old at college and I still dont see him for 11 years.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
If he is an adult son, then he is a 2nd preference relative, with a priority date backlog of about eleven years. You should consult with a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/25/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If you are an LPR, you can sponsor your son by filing the I-130 petition. It will be several years until he can apply for a green card based on that petition. Once you are a USC, you can upgrade that petition and he will then be able to file for his actual green card more quickly.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/25/2011
Law Offices of Joel H. Wolff
Law Offices of Joel H. Wolff | Joel Henry Wolff
Please note that an immigration attorney cannot make any promises or assurances as to amounts of time that it will take to process a green card or a visa. Whether it is in the United States through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security or through the State Department and the American Consulates, the process can be quite subjective and there are absolutely no guarantees. That being said, if you have not petitioned him yet, and it is already the end of July, you will most likely not be able to get him over here this year. The Alien Relative Petition process alone can take six months. No immigration attorney should be promising you any expedited dates - it is against the Rules of Ethics and Professional Conduct to do so. I hope this helps.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/23/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
You should file the petition immediately. It will take 2-4 years and if your son turns 21 he may not be eligible for a long time.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: