What happens if I am not able to pay my fine? How? 4 Answers as of August 25, 2015

I got charged $400 with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia, but I just don't have the money to pay the charges. Can I show up to court and ask for an extension or to pay it off with community service?

Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
That would be a yes.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
I strongly recommend that you not plead guilty to marijuana & paraphernalia charges. Having drug convictions on your criminal record will follow you the rest of your life. You will never be able to get those convictions expunged (removed) from your criminal record, and they will prevent you from getting a job, renting an apartment, getting federal student loans (or any kind of loan), etc. You can ask the judge for an extension of time to hire a lawyer to represent you and you can ask for community service, but the judge doesn't have to allow it.
You can do community service in exchange of the fine.
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
Yes. Don't blow it off show up and ask for more time.