What happens if I am accused of theft if I returned some of the stolen items? 1 Answers as of August 17, 2011

I stole some coins from my real dad's house and I told him it was me and he told the cops on me and filled a report. I was wondering what would the charges be on theft, since this is my first time ever stealing and having a criminal history. I also want to say that I gave some of the coins back to him and I told him that I will go back to the coin shop to get the rest of the coins back to him tomorrow, but I still think he is still going to press charges on me so that I will have to go to court and pay as fine and im really scared right now.

Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
You would only pay a fine if first offense and you return the coins to him, but the case might even be filed or deferred. You need to contact an attorney right away, but you should not worry about jail
Answer Applies to: Maine