What happens if a friend took my rented car out of state without my permission and left it in another state? 5 Answers as of July 22, 2014

He could be charged with Unauthorized Driving Away of an Automobile. UDAA. This is a felony.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
I would need a bit more information here, but in general, your friend could be looking at a civil suit initiated by you, or possibly a criminal charge initiated by you pressing charges. The severity of any punishment would be dependent on the circumstances of the events that took place.
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
Then you should probably report it stolen? Did you know he was taking it?
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You are held responsible for any rental fee, etc. If you allowed this friend to drive the car and not go out of state, you still gave permission. If your friend stole the car, file a police report.
If he took it with your permission it is your liability to the rental company (and maybe his to you, if it was without permission it is an unlawful driving away automobile, criminal and prosecutable. Either way, not much of a "friend".