What happens if the father does not legitimize? 6 Answers as of May 16, 2012

I am a single mother, I am not in a relationship with my daughters father. His name is on her birth certificate but he has not filed to legitamize her and I have not filed for child support/visitation because I have been told if he waits to long and then files, he won't have rights. Is this the case?

Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
He has no parental rights at present, but you are not getting child support, either.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
I do not like the thought behind the question. You seem to want to backdoor the father out of the picture and since he is the putative father on the birth certificate his rights cannot be terminated unless he is personally served and has a chance to respond. I think you should file for support at least and visitation if in her best interest.
What state are you in? (Generally he can file years from now but the answer varies by state).
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
He has no rights to custody or visitation until he legitimates the child.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
It is on a case by case basis as to whether a bio father has lost his "opportunity interest" in a relationship with his child. Nothing in family law is that "black and white".